Permits & Forms

Navigating the Permitting Process

Almost all development or redevelopment of any structure or parcel of land within the City requires the issuance of a Site Plan Permit prior to the issuance of any other building or construction related permit pursuant to Section 19-2.3.9, Site Plan Permit.

Other Permits

Other permits in addition to the Site Plan Permit may be required depending on the scope of the project. In many cases, a Stormwater Permit will be required. Individual Single Family construction is exempt from obtaining a Stormwater Permit. However, no construction activity is exempt from the following provisions of Section 19-7, Stormwater Management:

  • Depressional storage and soil erosion
  • Floodplain
  • Floodway
  • Riparian environment
  • Sediment control
  • Wetland

Site Plan Permits are administered by the Planning and Development Division. Detailed Site Plan submittal requirements for Single Family (PDF) and Non-Single Family (PDF) development have been provided. Stormwater Permits are administered by the Engineering Division, and detailed Stormwater Permitting information is provided below.

Stormwater Management for Site Development

As part of the Stormwater Ordinance, all development in the City has regulatory requirements that align with the City's Stormwater Management Plan. The City of Greenville has developed guidance and support for site development projects so that they are able to effectively meet the requirements of the City Stormwater Ordinance and obtain necessary permits associated with the development.

For City of Greenville Details and Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Notes required to meet the performance requirements of the Ordinance, see the Design and Specifications Manual (PDF).

For applicable DHEC forms, visit the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control website.

Grading Permits

A Grading Permit must be purchased from the City before land disturbing activities can occur. A Grading Permit may be purchased only after the proposed development is issued a Stormwater Permit by the City of Greenville. View the application (PDF) and associated fees.