Permits for Parades, Festivals, Parties and Athletic Events


The Public Information and Events Department produces and permits special events for the City of Greenville. Individuals, organizations and agencies wishing to conduct public gatherings on City of Greenville property are required to obtain a permit. Examples of permitted events include:

  • Block parties
  • Carnivals
  • Ceremonies
  • Concerts
  • Festivals
  • Filming
  • Parades
  • Park events
  • Performances
  • Races
  • Road closings

Picketing within the City Limits

Individuals or groups organizing a picket, demonstration, rally, etc. in the public right-of-way (sidewalk, park, plaza, etc.) must submit an Online Picketing Notice (PDF Version) and provide the City of Greenville with advance notice of the event based on the table below.

Completed forms can be turned in to the Special Events office at City Hall (206 S Main Street, Greenville SC 29601) Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and Noon and 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. (office is closed for lunch). Forms can also be submitted electronically to and turned in to the Law Enforcement Center at 4 McGee Street, Greenville SC 29601 after business hours.

View Picketing Ordinance (PDF)

Picketing Notification

Number of Participants Place for Picket Minimum Notice Time Required
11-50 Sidewalk 3 hours
25-50 Any public place except sidewalks 3 hours
51-100 Any public place 48 hours
101-200 Any public place 72 hours
201-400 Any public place 5 calendar days
Greater than 400 Any public place 7 calendar days

No notice of intent to picket is required for picketing by a group of 10 or fewer individuals on a sidewalk, or by a group of less than 25 individuals on the grounds of a City park or plaza.