The Citizens Academy is a free, eight-week community outreach program designed to provide citizens who live and work in the city a unique opportunity to learn more about the Greenville Police Department (GPD).
The academy features both a classroom setting with presentations by GPD personnel from multiple divisions, and a variety of learning experiences outside the classroom.
Participants will gain first-hand knowledge about the inner workings of the department and have the opportunity to see what officers and communications personnel go through on a daily basis by visiting the communications center and participating in a ride-along with a GPD officer. The academy is now being offered twice a year, with Spring and Fall sessions. Most classes are held at the GPD Training Center located at 688 Mauldin Road.
After completion, Citizens Academy graduates are given the opportunity to join the Greenville Police Department's Citizens Academy Alumni Association in order to keep in contact with their classmates and the police department.
Some of the topics that will be covered in Citizens Academy are:
- GPD structure and operations
- Police training simulator
- Use of force
- Vice & Narcotics
- Media Relations
- Traffic stops
....and many others!
Citizens Academy Information
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must live and/or work in the city limits of Greenville, SC (check your address here)
- Must attend a minimum of 7 of the 8 classroom sessions
- Must participate in a Ride Along as part of the class (scheduled through the Citizens Academy Moderator)
Individuals are ineligible to participate if any of the following apply:
- Pending arrest or conviction for any offense
- Any felony arrest within the previous ten (10) years
- Any misdemeanor arrest within the previous five (5) years
- Any conviction of a felony or any domestic violence
- Pending arrest or conviction of a felony or any domestic violence
- Currently under investigation by any law enforcement agency
- Intentional deception on arrest record or failure to report an arrest in this application
- Has been denied employment by this agency and is ineligible to reapply
- Has been terminated by this agency or resigned to avoid disciplinary action
- Has been previously rejected from the Citizens Academy due to failure to disclose arrest record or other untruthful information on application
- Does not possess a valid, government-issued identification
- Any person who is a member of any organization or participates in any organization deemed by the Chief of Police to be subversive to the department or the policing profession
- Any person who is or has been party to a civil lawsuit against the City of Greenville, the Greenville Police Department, and/or any current employees of the City of Greenville
- Any person who is delinquent in the payment of court-mandated child support
- Any person who appears mentally ill-prepared to exhibit sound judgment.
The Chief of Police or his designee retains the right to allow or deny anyone from participation in this program at his/her discretion, with or without cause or explanation.
Class Times and Locations
Classes are held Tuesday evenings from 5:30-8:30pm on the following dates:
|Session I (Spring 2020)||Session II (Fall 2020)|
|March 17||August 18|
|March 24||August 25|
|March 31||September 1|
|April 7||September 8|
|April 14 (Break)||September 15|
|April 21||September 22|
|April 28||September 29|
|Graduation - May 19||Graduation - October 20|
- Classes are held at the GPD Range & Training Facility at 688 Mauldin Road, Greenville, SC 29607 unless otherwise noted.
- Participants are required to attend at least 7 out of the 8 classroom sessions in order to graduate.
- The GPD Citizens Academy is free to all participants. Transportation is not provided.
- Refreshments will be served each class.
Questions? Contact MPO Hall at: firstname.lastname@example.org